Wednesday, September 17, 2008

my complex brain...

my head is killing me...


I went to my doctor's appointment today for my referral to a new neurologist. My new big city doc was not impressed by what my hometown doc had me on...in fact he told me never to take the stuff again and commended me on having so many headaches and not being addicted to my old medicine...(it's in part a barbiturate and he has had quite a few patients very addicted to it)...so he wrote a script and did a lot of tests and promptly sent me to the neurologist. Unfortunately I am not hopeful....
I have tried...these drugs over the years...
Midrin, Fioricet, Roxicet, Imitrex, Relpax, Frova, & Maxalt.
I have tried these preventatives...
Chiropractic, Massage, Biofeedback, Amitryptelene (boo weight gain), Lexapro, not to mention my recent spurt of self-medicating w/ a pm pain reliever every night (I swear I quit Bre...now I just can't sleep).
No such luck yet...he mentioned beta blockers possibly being something I could use as a preventative. It's possible he might put me on a low dose anti-depressant to help me sleep or even Ambien.
The bad part is there are many triggers and many of them are unavoidable (barometric pressure changes, being a girl) and some seem impossible to avoid at times (lack of sleep/insomnia, stress & anxiety).
Anyone have any luck w/ a preventative here? Leave a comment.
As it is I am having debilitating migraines between 1-2 times per week, and bad (but not debilitating) tension headaches about 4 days a week. I have about 1-2 symptom free days a week on average...

In more exciting news, I see 3 of my besties in 2 more sleeps (or lack thereof)...Kate, Whit & Em, we MUST take pics. Can't wait to see you all. xox.

1 comment:

Ashley H said...

Oh yuck. This is not a positive story in any way, but I feel like I have to share it.

Last week I had a patient who was admitted for a migraine. It had been going strong for 4 days & we couldn't crack it. We tried Imitrex, Demerol & Phenergan, Relpax, Dilaudid, DHE...

Finally we had a neuro consult & he ordered oxygen & SoluMedrol & Depacon & IV fluid... she was transferred off my floor so I'm not sure how it ended. I've never had one so I can't help there either. I guess I'm just saying stay positive. Something out there will work.