Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears

I want to win this!

This is what Bre got me for Christmas! Proving that blog hints do work!

30

I really got a lot of gifts this year! I am so thankful...I got a black & decker jar opener (which means I will never have to rely on a man again, at least to open a jar), two necklaces, a pair of New Balance running shoes, a candle, a pretty custom made apron, earrings, a knife set and these three things:

a yellow LOFT cardi

A yellow & brown GAP scarf


A good read

In other news, my Saturn (which I call "the baby Saturn") is going to retire to the pasture (or the scrap yard). After 5 years of ownership, many miles, lots of tires, a total cooling system overhaul, tons of sparkplugs and many loving oil changes, my 1998 SL1 had the clutch go out. It will cost about 1500 to fix her and then there is no guarantee that she will be okay after that. She is home right now, but they will pick her up and take her to recycle her.


I tend to not be attached to things...but to my car I am. I've always been really proud of myself for keeping her up so well and paying for all of her maitenance, parts, and repair. Plus, she has been parked outside of so many of the places I called "home"- Salina, Wamego, Manhattan, Mentor, & Kansas City. She's gone to Colorado a couple times, Wichita, and back and forth from wherever to Salina many times. I survived a lot of close calls in her. And she was resilient, til now.


However, this weekend I believe I finally came to terms with it and will be able to let her go with a clear head. It's time to find the next car to take me around for the next 5-10 years.


Speaking of the weekend, it was fabulous. Got to spend time with so many of my favorite people: Bre, Dave & Maxx, Mom & Randy, Dad, Tay, and Gram & Grandpa Rietzke. Went to church and the KWU basketball games to watch basketball & watch Taylor dance. And went to a get together in honor of Bre's birthday. I love going home to Salina for the weekend. It just always goes by too quickly.


title courtesy of Tim McGraw: My next 30 years

1 comment:

Whim said...

I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday, Shannon. Looks like it was a good one.