Tuesday, March 23, 2010

broke into the old apartment

"When we die, we will turn into songs, and we will hear each other and remember each other." Rob Sheffield: Love is a Mix Tape

A combination of things that brought this post up.

1. My friend at work told me that she is loaning me Love is a Mix Tape. She knows how I have a healthy respect for melancholy.

2. I got a new bookcase and am filling it up, when searching through books in boxes to add to the shelf I found my journals (1999-2007).

3. Keenan was at work and I was bored and began to read about my past from my past-POV.

When I read through my journals I realized that a blog just isn't the same. I have always kept a pen and paper journal and I loved to staple little bits of artwork, love notes, newspaper articles, horoscopes, fortune cookie fortunes, photos and song lyrics into them.

One of my journals has the backs of postcards and envelopes that are full of song lists for mix cds that I made my best friend Bre (during our long distance relationship).

Then I found it within the pages...a list, a rather comprehensive list of songs organized by relationship and time in my life. Break up anthems and love manifestos all in lyrical form...This is the kind of thing I love to look back on, and giggle. Did I really take everything so seriously? Yes.

So I decided to dedicate a post to it and a few weeks of the playlist to it.

"I want you to get into the deep beautiful melancholy of everything that's happened." Claire Coburn, Elizabethtown the film

title courtesy of Barenaked Ladies: The Old Apartment (it's on the playlist)

No comments: