Thursday, July 9, 2009

miss live and let live

miss live and let live
and when they're out for blood
i always give
-ani difranco

Work is awful right now. Had to terminate an employee today. In my year and one month of employment I've had to fire 7 people. This might not seem like a lot, however I only have 7 positions that I supervise. Today I felt reminded of when I was a teaching assistant and I would have to answer "Why did you fail me?" I remember wanting to answer "You failed yourself." Today I wanted to answer: "You fired yourself." But instead I was increasingly cerebral and technical (I get this way when I am nervous...intellucualizing is my defense mechanism).

By firing someone I have essentially just created double the work for myself, since I will now work his position during the days (that I cannot find subs) and my position at night. Not looking forward to the next month.

Working toward forming some new goals for myself. I joined a couple on-line book clubs. I've never done a book club before but I'm hoping it will help motivate me to spend more time reading. I read pretty quickly I just never sit down to do it. (This might be because I find it hard to stop once I really get started).

1 comment:

Ashley H said...

I hate that you had to fire someone. It's true though - they did it to themself. Theirself? Whatever. Anyway. Glad I got to see you for a minute & meet Keenan & get some zzzzs.
xoxo