Thursday, July 2, 2009

there must be a light of some kind

play along

I hadn't scrapbooked since April. Life had been tumultous and the design team over at Category Stories was very understanding and patient. However, it's time to get back into the swing of things. What better prompt to pull me out of my slump than a literary one? So, who would you be if you were a fictional character?


My take is a bit different. I was telling a story to Keenan, not long after we met. I must have been telling it with some ferver because he said "Slow down Scout." I was quite taken aback, scanning the conversations we had, wondering if I had told him that To Kill a Mockingbird was one of my favorite books, or that if I ever was lucky enough to have a daughter, I would really entertain the idea of naming her "Scout".

So I asked him "Why did you call me that?" And he replied: "You are like this little girl always running around trying to shoot people with your tiny slingshot." (Although, I think he meant metaphorically shoot, since I am a bit of a pacifist)


Regardless, the nickname stuck. Now whenever I get fired up about social injustices or even something smaller, I am sure he will remind me to take a deep breath before I get out my slingshot.


"'cause every time i try to hold my tongue it slips like a fish from a line"
-ani difranco

1 comment:

Ashley H said...

1) that's an amazing book. love it.

2) that's such a great picture of you!

xo