Friday, November 21, 2008

onslaught...

"I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood.That the speaking profits me, beyond any other effect. For we have been socialized to respect fear more than our own needs for language and definition, and while we wait in silence for that final luxury of fearlessness, the weight of that silence will choke us." --Audre Lorde from the essay The Transformation of Silence into Words and Action.

today, i saw this ad again on tv. and it brought me joy, again. not because the images or the message are joyful. in fact, it is the opposite. but the fact that someone in the mainstream media is talking about what feminists and other enlightened individuals have been speaking to for years is quite hopeful and brings me joy. if you haven't seen it...please see it here...go, dove.

"If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive." Audre Lorde (she captivates me with her words...like ladders out of a dark place and into the light).

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks so much for sharing the link to the ad. I have not seen it on tv and as my daughter hits her 8th birthday next month~ it hit very close to home.